Border Patrol: Drug Smuggle


Hotaru, Kaneko

Date: November 23, 2015


Kaneko and Hotaru are assigned a bit of guard duty.

Poster's note: foul language filtered in obvious places.

"Border Patrol: Drug Smuggle"

Land of Earth

There are scouting missions, fighting missions, and missions where you chase after chickens or children. Then there are the worst missions of all. The missions where you basically stand around and watch a vital spot for trouble. Those who are assigned these missions are usually individuals who have been getting into a lot of trouble. Kaneko and Hotaru have been assigned to to guard a mountain pass that wasn't that far from the city. A lot of traders come through the mountains, and require protection. The two genin were escorted by a chuunin to the target area early that morning, being told to do the following 'You've got one task today, and that is to make sure that you record in your best writing a record of anyone who passes through this pass. It's important work' He said. Important work is not sitting around and doing nothing all day!
The reason why this mission was even assigned at all is to teach the young genin to do good book-keeping. Reporting after a mission is completed is actually an important task. The chances anything interesting will happen is pretty low, but at least neither of them were doing this alone.
Hotaru was sitting atop a rock at the moment, about six feet off the ground. As she sat cross-legged she opened the book provided to her and Kaneko and placed a charcoal writing utensil to the page, tilting her head as she imagined something she'd like to draw. She and Kaneko have likely only been out here an hour, so it is still the morning… It's crushingly boring for Hotaru though, who seeks to draw a picture in the book instead of doing official work.

Kaneko would take every duty in stride! Even the most boring of tasks were handled by the young Murasame with extreme diligence! … Well, that's what she was daydreaming about while the guard was explaining what the pair were supposed to do. She had read the instructions earlier and knew what the guards at this section did, though, because her father tended to complain about having to pass through this area whenever he was carrying back a particularly heavy load of metal. The young Murasame would simply salute the Chuunin who led them to their task, staring at her new equipment for a bit before she settled down in her own spot.
In the hour that passed, Kaneko had already succumbed to the boredom that involves gate duty. The Murasame started scribbling, though it was not in the records. No, she was scribbling a bit on the table. Faint lines that would be smudged off every once in a while. Should a person come over, Kaneko would glance over to Hotaru to see who was taking note of them this time around. When it was her, she would fill the next line of the book with care-filled script. *yawn* "Hotaru-chan, when we get home, we should do something fun."

Hotaru would have been doodling in the book, eyes hanging open only barely as she runs lines across the page to draw the wall that she was facing. A barren stone wall, soaked red with clay. A few shrubs seem to be thriving along the wall face. *Sigh*. "It'll be late when we get home…" Hotaru says as she bites back the loudest groan she might have ever mustered. She didn't think the chuunin liked her very much either. He kept glaring at her when she didn't salute him every time he gave an order. Bothersome. Hotaru would stop when she came to the part of the scenery where Kaneko was standing. "Hold still." Hotaru would almost demand as she began to try and draw Kaneko, but…
…It seems it was far harder to draw someone important, and feel as if you had got it right. She would scratch out the entire drawing as she snapped the book shut. "Why don't we do something fun now?" She asks. "I mean… we just have to make sure we -describe- the carriages that go by. No one said anything about not pranking them a little as the go by…" Hotaru says with a creeping smile. "What if we… stop everyone that comes by and order them to show us what they have, then as I tell them that what they have is bad and that they will need to turn around, you play the 'good guy' and tell them that we'll let it 'slide this time'… Think about it, we could really scare someone! We'll have more to report too!" Good cop bad cop?

Kaneko blinks when she hears Hotaru's request, but she would hold still. There could be a bee or something, after all! But eventually she would move again when Hotaru gives up. The young Murasame gives up on doodling, as well. She wasn't much of an artist, and it was a shame to waste charcoal on pitiful pictures. "That doesn't seem like a very good idea, Hotaru-Chan. We might get in trouble. Also, why would you want to scare someone? That sounds mean…" She frowns at her friend, not entirely pleased by the whole idea.
It is then that the girl would turn her gaze to the distance and squint for signs of approaching wagons/people. Anyone there to liven up their duty? How long were they supposed to do this, anyway? "Let's just relax when we get home. Or read nice stories. Or we could train a bit. Something like that?" She shrugs, unsure of what else to suggest. Just sitting there was draining on her mental processes… She'd rather have something to do that wasn't as sporadic as seeing an oasis in the middle of a desert.

This terrible, terrible wait would continue on for about two hours. Only then would there be finally something approaching. A rater large wagon by the looks of it… Hotaru had initially grumbled when Kaneko had called her idea 'silly'. "Well, there isn't going to be anything else to do." She would have said… She sat around rather moodily for the next two hours before the approaching wagon started to draw close. The individuals driving the carriage appeared to be heavily clothed, with veils upon their face… Very, very suspicious. Hotaru wouldn't have guessed it was suspicious or not, she would simply look at Kaneko and take a deep breath. "I'm going to do it anyways!" Hotaru clearly was the reason the two managed to get into trouble. She would slide down from her rock, dusting her bottom off as she reached up to grab her steel cane. She would walk in front of the cart to stop it. "If you aren't going to help out, go ahead and just write down what you see Kaneko-chan."
Hotaru would stand her ground as the carriage approaches, and believing her to simply be a kid, the carriage would nearly appear as if it would carry on before coming to a stop. One of the masked individuals tensely approached Hotaru, before a gruff voice called out. "What?" … …
"Ano… we're… gonna need to check your cart?" Hotaru would say, a little scared of the individual. It felt as if his chakra spiked just then.

RPCOMBAT: Kaneko defends against with a PERCEPTION…14
[NPC System]: Caravaneers roll(s) Suspicious activity from 5 to 20 and get(s) a 12. - Rolled by: Hotaru

Kaneko, during the two hour stagnancy, would have suggested various games that are similar to the modern games of 'iSpy', 'tic-tac-toe', 'rock-paper-scissors' and 'cat's cradle', to name a few, but ultimately would resort to waiting out the nothingness that threatened to put her to sleep. When a cart actually appeared, Kaneko was glad to start writing down a thorough description, looking up and down between cart and paper before she realized that Hotaru had already gone ahead. "Wh- Hotaru-chan!" she huffs, finishing her final notes on the cart before she would rush to grab her friend.
It is as she is about to put coal to paper that there's a flash of movement just out of her range of vision, so she looks up to see someone drawing a weapon! … With no way to alert Hotaru well, Kaneko would be forced to take action herself… She focused a bit of chakra and started making some handseals to prepare for the next strike… They had chosen the wrong genin to mess with if they were going to cause trouble!

COMBAT: Kaneko focuses 172 stamina to turn it into 200 usable chakra!

"Well? I mean… are you going to show me what is ins-" Woah! Hotaru was suddenly tugged away, and she saw the reason rather quickly. Where she was a moment ago, and individual had lept onto with a very sharp looking tanto. "K-Kaneko! A-arigatou…" She says as she focuses her own chakra. "W-why are you.. you attacking us?" She would ask them. "U-unless… unless you have something that shouldn't be…"
"Little kids, rubbing your noses in the wrong place. Sorry, we can't let this fall into Iwagakure's hands." The heavily cloaked man drew his blade placing a hand upon the sheath as he smoothly guided a katana out until just the tip was just about to leave the scabbard. Then, both Kaneko and Hotaru would be in it's path.

[NPC System]: Suspicious Caravaneer roll(s) Arc Slash vs Hotaru from 15 to 30 and get(s) a 23. - Rolled by: Hotaru
[NPC System]: Suspicious Caravaneer roll(s) Arc Slash vs Kaneko from 15 to 30 and get(s) a 22. - Rolled by: Hotaru
COMBAT: Kaneko attacks target 1 with INTERRUPT with a roll of: 29
RPCOMBAT: Kaneko defends against with a FIRE-REPLACEMENT…21
RPCOMBAT: Kaneko defends against with a EVASION…33

Kaneko is suddenly in front of Hotaru, pushing the dragon off to the side and taking the initial blow that was meant for her friend before she's able to leap away from the tanto. Her katana is unsheathed by the time she's done with all that, and the tip is lowered in the pair's direction. "Is there a reason you decided to attack?" she asks coldly, grey eyes flashing with anger. She ignored the small injury on her arm for now. It was nothing… "Hotaru-chan, … I think we need to check out what they have in their cart…" she says, though her gaze was steady on the two 'intruders'. "We don't have to confiscate it unless you have no business being here, after all…" She's also talking in hopes that someone else will come and take care of this… -.-;;

RPCOMBAT: Kaneko took 100 damage.
COMBAT: Hotaru focuses 2026 stamina to turn it into 2500 usable chakra!

Hotaru was once more pushed to the floor while Kaneko acts as a shield. She winced a little when she saw her friend's arm get cut, and it wasn't just a scratch either. "Kaneko-chan! Mmmh. Now I don't care if all they're peddling is rice!" She would settle on her knees as she sets her cane aside and creates a string of ten seals. "They're both under arrest for drawing the blood of an Iwa-nin!" Hotaru's face was stern as she focused her chakra, causing water to seemingly burst from the ground, taking advantage of the nearest source of water meant tapping into an aquifer close to the surface. The water she focused upon would quickly attempt to wrap around both ninja!

COMBAT: Hotaru attacks target 1 with WATER-CHAINS with a roll of: 37
COMBAT: Hotaru attacks target 1 with WATER-CHAINS with a roll of: 45
[NPC System]: Suspicious Caravaneer roll(s) Dodge II vs Hotaru (37) from 25 to 40 and get(s) a 30. - Rolled by: Hotaru
[NPC System]: Caravan Assassin roll(s) Dodge II vs Hotaru (45) from 25 to 40 and get(s) a 28. - Rolled by: Hotaru

At the very least, people whom apparently owned the caravan were suddenly tied up with water ninjutsu. This meant that Kaneko can freely check their cart for illegal things if she wanted to… "I've got them Kaneko, but I need to keep my hand in a seal to keep them where they are… C-could you go take a look under that tarp for me?" She asks as she grunts… The individuals whom were trapped were grunting and throwing curses, "There is nothing under there for you, Iwa-nin!"
Kaneko watches at the two caravan owners got caught up, and she would nod to Hotaru. "Just don't let them go," she requests, not wanting to be attacked with her back turned. The young Murasame's sword tip doesn't leave the two before her as she walks over to the cart to pull the tarps that cover their goods away. Let's see what's inside!

The contents were actually quite illegal. Not only did they have weapons that weren't likely going to Iwagakure, they also had the leaves of a plant that is well known as an illegal narcotic. Opium. This plant, grown in a distant land, is known as a potent drug that is often used as an aphrodesiac by nobility. In other words, these men were in double trouble… Hotaru would continue to focus her chakra to 'stun lock' the two bandits. "I don't like that look on your face Kaneko-chan… What is inside?" She asks as she groans, focusing the water chains more…

COMBAT: Hotaru attacks target 1 with WATER-CHAINS with a roll of: 27
COMBAT: Hotaru attacks target 1 with WATER-CHAINS with a roll of: 32
[NPC System]: Suspicious Caravaneer roll(s) Struggle vs Hotaru (27) from 25 to 40 and get(s) a 28. - Rolled by: Hotaru
[NPC System]: Caravan Assassin roll(s) Struggle vs Hotaru (32) from 25 to 40 and get(s) a 37. - Rolled by: Hotaru

Suddenly, Hotaru loses her focus enough that the caravaneers both break out of the water chains. "We warned ya." The one with the tanto says, as he charges at Hotaru, taking advantage of her inability to dodge quickly to plant a knife in her back… Meanwhile, the other one decides to jump right over the wagon to land right in front of Kaneko, bringing his blade back and attempting to swing at her. "Some things should just be left untouched…"

[NPC System]: Suspicious Caravaneer roll(s) Backstab vs Hotaru from 25 to 40 and get(s) a 26. - Rolled by: Hotaru
[NPC System]: Suspicious Caravaneer roll(s) Cleaner Cut vs Kaneko from 20 to 35 and get(s) a 24. - Rolled by: Hotaru
RPCOMBAT: Kaneko defends against with a EVASION…36
COMBAT: Kaneko attacks target 1 with CLEAN-CUT with a roll of: 21
COMBAT: Kaneko attacks target 1 with CLEAN-CUT with a roll of: 23
COMBAT: Kaneko attacks target 1 with CLEAN-CUT with a roll of: 27

Kaneko doesn't really know what opium is, but she figures that it's not a thing these people should have. The weapons are a bit more concerning in her mind. "Nothing good…" she tells Hotaru, then she moves away from the incoming cut, raising her own sword to slice at the smuggler a few times. "Yes, and you need to obviously learn that you cannot just underestimate those of Iwagakure!" she huffs, making sure the cuts, while not lethal, are aimed at very particular spots that would prevent movement should they connect.

[NPC System]: Suspicious Caravaneer roll(s) Dodge II vs Kaneko(21) from 15 to 30 and get(s) a 30. - Rolled by: Hotaru
[NPC System]: Suspicious Caravaneer roll(s) Dodge II vs Kaneko (23) from 15 to 30 and get(s) a 28. - Rolled by: Hotaru
[NPC System]: Suspicious Caravaneer roll(s) Dodge II vs Kaneko(27) from 15 to 30 and get(s) a 23. - Rolled by: Hotaru
RPCOMBAT: Hotaru defends against with a WATER-RIBBONS…30

It seems that the individual was strong enough to dodge two of Kaneko's attacks, which were aimed at disarming him, but Kaneko would knick him on the leg, which would cause him to drop to a knee. "Mule it! They keep getting younger and younger!" He would raise his blade and swing down on Kaneko as quickly as he could… Meanwhile, Hotaru had her own issues fighting down the the caravaneer who dashed behind her rather quickly. She would place her hands in a seal and focus her jutsu behind her. It was affective at redirecting the blow. "N-not yet!" She would make a seal as she turned her head and created a trail of fire from her mouth, which sought to surround the bandit and pin him there… all the while she made another seal pelt the other bandit on his back! Double attack!

COMBAT: Hotaru attacks target 1 with RUNNING-FIRE with a roll of: 30
COMBAT: Hotaru attacks target 1 with FIRE-BULLET-BARRAGE with a roll of: 28
[NPC System]: Suspicious Caravaneer roll(s) Dodge II vs Hotaru (28) from 15 to 35 and get(s) a 23. - Rolled by: Hotaru
[NPC System]: Assassin Caravaneer roll(s) Dodge II vs Hotaru (30) from 15 to 35 and get(s) a 16. - Rolled by: Hotaru

Only one of the bandits were able to attack, and he was currently on fire. He would try to give it one last go before he became unable…

[NPC System]: Suspicious Caravaneer roll(s) Flailing Sword Technique vs Kaneko from 10 to 25 and get(s) a 12. - Rolled by: Hotaru
RPCOMBAT: Kaneko counters with CLEAN-CUT…32
COMBAT: Kaneko attacks target 1 with GRACEFUL-SLASH with a roll of: 33
COMBAT: Kaneko attacks target 1 with GRACEFUL-SLASH with a roll of: 26
COMBAT: Kaneko attacks target 1 with GRACEFUL-SLASH with a roll of: 33

Kaneko just strikes out, forcing her body to move faster than her enemy's. She would slice at his arm, then move slightly to make several different feints that add in actual strikes. "You shame the name of Iwagakure for thinking you could pass us by so easily," Kaneko declares, stopping with her sword at the man's throat. Her grey eyes were hard as diamonds, and they glittered with an angry light as she stared at the pathetic man.

[NPC System]: Suspicious Caravaneer roll(s) Dodge II vs Kaneko(32) from 15 to 30 and get(s) a 17. - Rolled by: Hotaru
[NPC System]: Suspicious Caravaneer roll(s) Dodge II vs Kaneko(33) from 15 to 30 and get(s) a 29. - Rolled by: Hotaru
[NPC System]: Suspicious Caravaneer roll(s) Dodge II vs Kaneko (26) from 15 to 30 and get(s) a 29. - Rolled by: Hotaru
[NPC System]: Suspicious Caravaneer roll(s) Dodge II vs Kaneko(33) from 15 to 30 and get(s) a 24. - Rolled by: Hotaru

The man's blade drops from his hand as his arm is no longer able to grasp it. It appears that Kaneko has made him submit. "It's my livelihood! I feed my family with this, and Iwagakure will not permit it! I would rather die than submit! Go on! End it…" It would only take one more strike… He could be executed…
Meanwhile, Hotaru would suddenly cry out. "Don't run! S-stop! U…Uhn… " Hotaru would clearly have been unable to let the other man go, because she is unable to run… or even move, really… "Kaneko-chan, t-the other one got away…"

Kaneko keeps her sword near the man's throat, then shakes her head a bit. "You're going to deal with the consequences. I'm taking you into the jail," Kaneko tells the man. "Hai, Hotaru-Chan… It's fine. Tie this one up with some ninja wire, though. We're gonna take him in." As soon as Hotaru does that (and so long as the man doesn't put up a fight), Kaneko would lower her weapon and glance at the wagon. "We can use the weapons. The other stuff should be done away with… maybe Chuunin-San will know what to do with it all… What do you think, Hotaru-Chan?"

Hotaru would crawl over to her cane and grab it as she uses it to stand up, fishing wire out of her pouch. "W-what about our mission? Does this mean we don't have to wait here any longer?" She asks, almost excited now that they were attacked if that was the case! She would cane her way over to the man who was unable to defend himself as it was, and begin to tie his hands up…

Kaneko glances around. "We… can't leave this place unguarded… One of us should stay here and the other can go report him. Umm… We can keep him here or take him with, but leaving him here is probably best, I think…" Kaneko was tired after all that excitement…

Eventually, two chuunin would arrive. "Kaneko, Hotaru. Are you two okay?" The one in charge would ask. "We saw a column of flame in the distance, and came as soon as we could!" It seemed that after Kaneko had explained the situation to them, that they would nod their head and take over from there.
That is… They took over the transport of the criminal to the prison. Instead, Kaneko and Hotaru were issued to finish the mission. Yep. They were still there. Sitting… "Kaneko-chan…" Hotaru would say with a groan. "… This mission… is terrible, but I'm glad that you are here with me on it. I would have been bored to death if it wasn't for you…"

Kaneko would nod and explain as best she could. "This man tried to go through the gate with a cartful of weapons and … plants. He was acting super suspicious, and there was another, but he was able to get away. It was thanks to Hotaru-chan that we were even able to catch them at all, though, really!" Kaneko smiles warmly to her friend, then would nod quickly when they took the prisoner, and she would settle down at her spot… again. "Mmm… It wasn't too bad," she says, hand reaching out to give Hotaru's a small squeeze. "I'm glad I'm doing this with you, too, though, Hotaru-chan." She grins a bit, then would continue on with her duty until they were finally relieved.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License